Click on a label to read posts from that part of the world.
Apr 9th 2009 10:35PM Better yet, go for a year on a working holiday visa...thats what I'm doing
Aug 8th 2008 11:13AM Algae produces 5000 gallons per acre over what time period? That stat is fairly useless without a time frame. Is that per day, per month, per year? I checked the article and it doesnt specify either. Anybody know?
Jul 8th 2008 8:52AM Hey! What do you have against mechanical engineers? Come to think of it, maybe I need to think of something else when people ask me what I do. "I design air conditioning systems" just isnt getting it done.
Jun 2nd 2008 8:45AM Wow. Jamie, I'm disappointed that you did a pretty poor job defending your argument by saying that people shouldnt be allowed to carry guns b/c they might shoot somebody over a parking space. Thats pretty weak. Lets get a few things straight people:
1) People have always been allowed to carry guns into parks, just not loaded guns on their 'person.'
2) I know it goes against everything you watch on TV and in the movies, but animals dont really just attack people FREQUENTLY for no reason. Of course it does happen, but not nearly as often as you might think. No one has ever been killed by a bear in Denali. That is b/c they have rules in place to keep people (and bears) safe and most people going into the backcountry there no what to do if they come across a bear.
3) I dont think anyone doing any backcountry camping is going to be carrying a gun with them. Its way too much added weight.
4) If a bear or something is going to attack you, its either going to be hunting you or defending its young, which in either case you probably wouldnt have time to pull out a gun to defend yourself.
5) I also doubt a gun would help defend you against a "serial killer"...maybe thats just me.
I'd like to see the real stats for crime in national parks. Is there really a problem there? How many people get killed/hurt by animals in the parks every year? How about by people? I know some of the parks on the borders have problems with drug trafficing, etc, but Yosemite, Yellowstone? Please.
That being said, people who get liscensed to carry guns generally know about gun safety and probably would not present much problems. If they want to carry guns around everywhere they go, I think that is fairly paranoid and a bit naive, but it wouldnt be the worst thing in the world. Why not try it out in some of the parks where there isnt the border issue for a couple years and see what happens?
May 6th 2008 2:08PM Seattle
Apr 2nd 2008 12:51PM Gotta be the jellyfish, mate
Mar 20th 2008 1:34PM Search for the hotel, then after you find the one you want and click "Book It!", it takes you to a page showing price, etc. There is some small text right below the total room cost that says "I have a coupon." Click that and it'll let you enter the coupon. Not sure if it'll work or not, but thats how you do it.
Feb 1st 2008 3:55PM I'll be in Costa Rica in November 2008 for a cousin's wedding somewhere in the Northwest (not sure yet). But, I really want to visit the Osa Peninsula. What eco lodge did you stay at and would you recommend it? Any other recommendations of any kind will be appreciated.