Click on a label to read posts from that part of the world.
Most travelers are keen to mingle with locals while taking in the sights. Do both and save money by hiking along the fjords and fjells of Scandinavia and/or the soaring majesty of the Alps.
Don't like the idea of lugging your gear over the mountains? No worries. Join one of the following hiking clubs that maintain hut-to-hut hiking trails and get discounts on accommodations. This lets you can pack light and spend each night in the company of local hiking enthusiasts:
- www.aacuk.org.uk (Austria),
- www.ffcam.fr (France),
- www.dav-huettensuche.de (Germany),
- http://www.cai.it/index.php?id=1&L=1 (Italy),
- http://turistforeningen.no/english/ (Norway),
- http://www.svenskaturistforeningen.se/en/About-Us/ (Sweden),
- http://www.sac-cas.ch/index.php?id=1&L=3 (Switzerland).
[Photo: Flickr | Geir Halvorsen]