Click on a label to read posts from that part of the world.
10 Offbeat Fringe Festivals From Around North America
Edmonton International Fringe Festival
Advertised as "Canada's largest and longest-running Fringe Festival," the Edmonton International Fringe Festival features many bizarre events that will take place in Edmonton's historic arts district, Old Strathcona. Themed "The Village of the Fringed," spectators will see 1,600 performances of 220 uncensored productions. In fact, the festival refuses to restrain performances, which are chosen using an unbiased lottery system. Some acts to look forward to include:
- "The Kif-Kif Sisters," featuring twins who twist and intermingle themselves, make bananas appear, enter giant balloons and juggle umbrellas.
- "Dr. Fondoozle's Fantastic Show Of Awesome," which features bizarre feats like whip mastery, contortion, contact juggling and poi spinning.
- "The Lol Brothers Show," which takes you on a tour of rock 'n' roll through risky circus acts and humor.
This year's Edmonton International Fringe Festival will take place from August 16 to 26, 2012. Click here for more details.
Taking place in the Massachusetts Avenue Cultural District, IndyFringe provides opportunities for audiences to partake in the Indianapolis arts community. This wacky and wild festival allows emerging artists to display an eclectic mix of performances. From dancers, to story tellers, to visual art groups, this fringe festival is sure to entertain all festival goers. Some performances to look forward to include:
- "Do Re Mi Fa So Latino," which features President Rodriguez, the first openly non-American citizen President, and Mexican Harriet Tubman, smuggling hard working Hispanics out of Arizona to the less oppressive north.
- "Iris and Rose – Wild and Thorny," a show which features a pub singing duo belting out dirty tunes.
- "Donating Sperm to My Sister's Wife," a performance about a man's lesbian sister and her wife, and how he helps them get pregnant.
Boulder International Fringe Festival
The Boulder Fringe is actually a tax-exempt organization with goals to revitalize the community, help artists inspire each other and support local businesses by hiring administrators, technical crew and artists. This year's Boulder International Fringe Festival will feature jaw dropping performances from over 300 artists. Some of the shows include:
- "What To Do About Delusion," where Andy Pratt will attempt to tame four personalities using juggle therapy, an experimental psychoanalysis technique for narcissists.
- "Tobo's Magic & Marvel Show," which weaves magic, stories and history into an astonishing and inspiring experience.
- "Flying Shoes," where dancers use choreography to explore their relationships to each other, gravity and architecture.
This year's Boulder International Fringe Festival will take place from August 15 to September 26. Click here for more details.
Chicago Fringe Festival
Taking place in the Pilsen neighborhood, the Chicago Fringe Festival features 50 unique performance groups like actors, dancers, impersonators, puppeteers and scientist-comedians. Some acts to look forward to include:
- "55 Minutes of Sex, Drugs and Audience Participation," a sketch-comedy performance where the audience is asked to suggest awkward topics and actors create emotionally honest stories of the pleasures of forbidden love, wretched excess, reckless living and making a good confession.
- "Bruiser: Tales From a Traumatized Tomboy," a true story of how a misplaced tomboy blossoms into an even more awkward adult.
- "Konetic Concoction," a bizarre yet thought provoking dance show where you'll see acts like a ballerina dancing on pointe in a straight jacket and a dancer performing in a 24-foot long skirt.
New York International Fringe Festival
New York, NY
Pushing the limits with new ideas and new perspectives, the New York International Fringe Festival features innovative performances by over 200 companies from around the world all over downtown Manhattan. The festival boasts being the "largest multi-arts festival in North America," with 1,200 unique performances from musicals to dances to rock 'n' roll Shakespeare. Some of this year's performances to look forward to include:
- "#MormonChief," where Connor, an unassuming Mormon, becomes the center of media attention when he tweets inflammatory statements inspired by a Mormon presidential candidate.
- "5 Lesbians Eating a Quiche," a sketch comedy piece taking place in 1956 where communists threaten the Susan B. Anthony Society for the Sisters of the Gertrude Stein during their annual Quiche breakfast.
- "Magic Trick," a burlesque-style love story.
Atlantic Fringe Festival
Halifax, Nova Scotia
The Atlantic Fringe Festival has an "anything-goes" attitude. Displaying a wide variety of original plays, shows, and presentations, the Atlantic Fringe is the definition of an artist-driven festival. This entirely volunteer run event is filled with musicals, dramas, comedies, dances and belly dancers. Moreover, these fringers will prove to audiences they were born performers in over 250 performances and 40 different shows. The website will be up sometime this week with the performance schedule.
This year's Atlantic Fringe Festival will take place from August 30 to September 9. Click here for more details.
Vancouver Fringe Festival
Vancouver, British Columbia
As British Columbia's largest theater festival, the Vancouver Fringe Festival brings in more than 30,000 attendees for over 750 performances by 97 groups. Audiences will see an eclectic mix of uncensored theatrical performances by artists who break traditional boundaries. Additionally, the artists receive 100% of regular box office revenues generated during the festival. Some shows to get excited for include:
- "Say Wha?! Readings Of Deliciously Rotten Writing," where some of the worst writing in print will be made fun of by performers.
- "One Human Race," a live music show based on traditional Igbo roots rhythms, evoking the spirit of highlife and Afrobeat with a splash of funk, jazz, blues, and reggae.
- "Does This Turn You On?," a lighthearted look at sexual fetishes in the modern imagination.
This year's Vancouver Fringe Festival will take place from September 6 to 16. Click here for more details.
Seattle Fringe Festival
After almost a decade, the Seattle Fringe Festival is returning to Capitol Hill. The event will feature a variety of genres, and will showcase everything from raw, untested acts to perfectly executed performances. Moreover, all performers are chosen by a non-adjudicated lottery. Some acts to look forward to include:
- "First Born," where life and death comes down to a game of rock, paper, scissors.
- "Chop," which focuses on a man who is isolated from the world around him, until he meets a mysterious tattooed woman who brings him to an underground amputation fetish group.
- "The Ukrainian Dentist's Daughter," a show about a woman who relives her life while being stood up at the alter.
San Francisco Fringe Festival
San Francisco, California
The San Francisco Fringe Festival is an open-minded event where performers will showcase an array of talents. With 40 different shows and over 200 acts, attendees will have the opportunity to watch a slew of creative, daring and fun productions. The event is in its 21st year, and is offering some interesting acts like:
- "Aerial Allusions," a fusion of multiple performance styles such as acrobatic dance, clown and theater that come together to bring chaos, humor and control to the stage.
- "Antipodes," a mix of tightly synced video projection, acting and live music that tells the story of an American man and a Chinese woman who find stable selves by being deconstructed.
- "Jesus, Do You Like Me? Please Mark Yes or No," a complicated love story featuring murder, religion and "answers to all existential crisis."
New Orleans Fringe Festival
New Orleans, Louisiana
As a city known for embracing artists, it's no wonder this show is a display of wild, weird, fearless and original theater. The New Orleans Fringe Festival features artists such as buskers, puppeteers, dramatists, improv folks, skit-makers and hula-hoopers, who will take the stage at the crazy circus tent known as the Fringe Free-For-All. Because the official schedule isn't out yet, you still have time to apply to be a performer if you think you have some original performance art to show the world.
This year's New Orleans Fringe Festival will take place from November 14 to 18. Click here for more details.