Click on a label to read posts from that part of the world.
A photo tour of the UNESCO World Heritage Sites of Brazil
While not every UNESCO World Heritage Site in Brazil is on the list, you will be able to explore:
- Brasilia- This capital city was created in 1956 and was planned in such a way that every element of the city is constructed in a harmonious design.
- Brazilian Atlantic Island: Fernando de Noronha- This island features more tropical seabirds than anywhere else in the Western Atlantic and its waters are an important breeding place for various marine mammals, tuna, sharks, and turtles.
- Central Amazon Conservation Complex 1- This is one of the most bountiful places on Earth in terms of biodiversity and is also the biggest protected area in the Amazon Basin.
- Cerrado Protected Area: Chapada dos Veadeiros- This site plays an important role in preserving the biodiversity of one of the oldest and most unique topical ecosystems, the Cerrado.
- Historic Centre of Salvador de Bahia-This was actually the original capital of Brazil from 1549 to 1763 and was also the first slave market in the New World.
- Historic Centre of the Town of Diamantina- This colonial village sits in the midst of rocky mountains and blends into its untamed landscape. Another reason for addition into the UNESCO World Heritage Site list, according to the official website, is because "explorers of the Brazilian territory, diamond prospectors, and representatives of the Crown were able to adapt European models to an American context in the 18th century, thus creating a culture that was faithful to its roots yet completely original".
- Historic Town of Ouro Preto- This town was founded in the 17th century and was a major focus during the gold rush and 18th century golden age. Today, much of the cities past still remains through its architecture.
- Iguaçu National Park- Here you will find one of the most picturesque and astonishing waterfalls in the world. The area also features many "rare and endangered species of flora and fauna".
- Pantanal Conservation Area- This site features four protected areas, myriad wild animals and diverse flora, and one of the biggest freshwater wetland ecosystems on Earth.