Click on a label to read posts from that part of the world.
Top 5 MTV music videos that inspire travel
I grew up in the years when MTV was at the forefront of popular culture and credit the network with fueling a number of my travel fantasies. It is in this spirit that I list the top 5 MTV videos that inspired my desire to travel. Note that all of these videos were made in 1989 or earlier.
1. Like A Virgin - Madonna. As a known Italophile, I'm often asked what my favorite film set in Italy is. This Madonna classic, which must have single-handedly inflated ticket prices for a gondola ride when it was released in 1984, is always the first thing that comes to mind. Watch the video and tell me it doesn't make you want to go to Venice.
2. Never Tear Us Apart - INXS. The sweeping views of Prague and INXS' somber walks through that city, in particular their stroll through the Jewish Cemetery, is one of the most beautifully filmed music videos of all time. I still haven't made it to Prague and that fact makes me sadder than this video usually does.
3. Personal Jesus - Depeche Mode. I distinctly remember the first time I saw this video and perked up when the VJ announced it had been shot in Spain. "Personal Jesus" was filmed in the Tabernas Desert in southern Spain, the location for many Spaghetti Westerns of yore.
4. Rio - Duran Duran. There is really nothing particularly related to the city of Rio de Janeiro in this memorable video by Duran Duran, but the shots of the white sand beaches and glossy sailboats gave me an itch for Caribbean travel. Apparently this video was shot in and around Antigua.
5. Going Back to Cali - LL Cool J. Even 24 years after it was made, LL Cool J's funky black-and-white homage to L.A. is a love letter to the City of Angels even if LL continues to insist he's not going back there.
Filed under: Arts and Culture