Click on a label to read posts from that part of the world.
Conference and Meeting Travel: How the packing list is different
When I go on a regular business jaunt, I usually wind up having to overpack. The problem is that there is just too much happening, and none of it is related. On a normal business trip, usually to visit the IR magazine team in London, I have to be ready for:
• Meetings with my team
• Meetings with my boss
• The sort of work that I do every day
• Special events that have a dress code
• Casual dinners with former colleagues
• Recreational travel, which I usually like to tack on to the back end of a business trip
So, what's the upside? Well, a lighter bag ...
Because of the single purpose and straightforward attire, packing for a convention/conference trip is pretty easy. So, what's in my bag right now?
• Two pairs of pants (for two and a half days on the ground in Vancouver)
• Four shirts – just in case I spill something or have an unexpected night out
• Socks, toiletries, etc. (the basics you'll need to pack for any trip, regardless of purpose)
• I'm wearing the jeans and shoes that I'll wear on the flight home
Just to play it safe, most of my shirts can be worn with either pair of pants packed, so if I spill something on a pair of pants, I won't wind up in a weird stripes-on-pinstripes predicament. Also, I'm short on gadgets for this trip. Since I probably won't be doing anything other than working the RIMS 2011 event, I don't need my camera (which takes up far too much space); my BlackBerry camera will get the job done if necessary. My Flip is small enough not to be a bother, and my laptop is tiny. Anything else doesn't make the cut.
Convention and conference travel can lead to heavier bags if you're on an event management team, and you get stuck toting marketing materials, brochures and other equipment for a booth or other presence at the event. If you can ship as much of that as possible ahead of time, though, you'll find yourself with easier shoulders, free hands and the fresh look that comes with not having to check a bag!