Click on a label to read posts from that part of the world.
Galley Gossip: 10 signs there's a newbie in first class
1. PHONES HOME - As soon as the first class virgin settles into the big, comfy, leather chair, they immediately begin to phone everyone they know during boarding to share exactly where they are, and they do so in a very loud voice as they recline the seat all the way back, giving a detailed description of just how far the seat actually goes. Amazing, isn't it? Calls are followed by a self portrait which gets sent via text. Hi mom!
3. STRANGE USE OF HOT TOWELS - Hot towels are distributed in first class before the meal is served. Most passengers use the steamy cloth to wash their hands, while some will use it to clean their eyeglasses or wipe down the tray table, all of which are acceptable uses of a hot towel. The virgin has been known to do things a tad bit differently. I've witnessed quite a few passengers giving the old armpits a good rub down. A couple of coworkers have even spotted passengers trying to eat the thing as if it were a spring roll.
4. ORDERS THE BREAD BASKET - Menus are passed out in first class. Inside passengers will find a selection of appetizers, entrees, desserts and wine. Off to the side it mentions that sourdough and multigrain rolls are served alongside the main course. The virgin has been known to order the bread basket as an entree choice.
6. LOOKS DAZED AND CONFUSED - Nothing says first timer more than a passenger who just stares blankly when the flight attendant appears with an armful of table linens. After the flight attendant discretely asks the passenger to pull out the tray table, the confusion kicks in when the first timer starts frantically searching around for it. Check the armrest next time
7. DRINKS NONSTOP: Except for a cup of coffee or a glass of water, the frequent flier can be counted on to stick with their drink of choice throughout the flight. The virgin samples all four wine choices after finishing off the entire bottle of Champagne. For dessert Baileys is poured over ice cream and Kahlua is stirred into coffee. Mmm...smells good. They'll even ask for a couple of minis to go.
8. BINGES - The first class service is elaborate. There are appetizers and drinks, salads made to order, entrees presented with an assortment of bread, followed by fruit, cheese, gelato, and more. The frequent flier has had enough of the never ending (never changing) service and would rather work than eat. The virgin samples it all. Go ahead, enjoy!
9. CAN'T FIND THE TOILET - The virgin has no idea where the lavatory is, which is why they're trying to open the closet, or even worse, the cockpit door! Don't panic, the air marshalls know what they're doing. Just like flight attendants they've seen it all. Otherwise there'd be one less newbie in flight.
10. COLLECTS SOUVENIRS - Those little salt and pepper shakers are kind of cute, aren't they?
Photos courtesy of Creepyed and Vkiperman