Click on a label to read posts from that part of the world.
Top 10 national parks, thanks to TripAdvisor
More than 3,000 TripAdvisor readers in the United States have selected the top 10 national parks. Big shock: nine out of 10 are out west. Only Maine made it onto the list. But, let's face it – if you want big, impressive national parks, you have leave the East Coast.
These readers are definitely interested in the national park scene. More than 70 percent plan to visit one this year, up from 62 percent in 2008. And, searches on TripAdvisor for "national park" and "national parks" are up 21 percent for the first five months of 2009 (relative to the same period last year).
So, what are the top spots?
- Zion National Park, Utah
- Grand Canyon National Park, Arizona
- White Sands National Monument, New Mexico
- Hawaii Volcanoes National Park, Hawaii
- Redwood National and State Parks, California
- Red Rock Canyon National Conservation Area, Nevada
- Grand Teton National Park, Wyoming
- Mount Rainier National Park, Washington
- Yosemite National Park, California
- Acadia National Park, Maine
"As Americans look for inexpensive travel ideas this summer, many are seeking out the amazing natural beauty that lies in our country's own back yard," said Michele Perry, vice president of global communications for TripAdvisor. "National Parks can offer travelers an active, affordable and often awe-inspiring escape outdoors."