Click on a label to read posts from that part of the world.
Tour guide traits to avoid
- Substance abuse problems: While your first night might seem fun, what with your tour guide all over the karaoke and buying rounds for everyone, by the eighth night it's a little old. You can count on bleary eyes and Bloody Marys at breakfast, if he or she makes it.
- Poor bathing habits: Do you really want to follow along in a cloud of body odor and last night's booze seeping from your guide's pores?
- Someone who carries a map and/or a guidebook.
- A know-it-all who knows nothing (see above) - who wants to listen to a condescending jerk make stuff up?
- The cheerfulness and smarmy-ness of a cruise director: you're on a cycling tour of Vietnam, for goodness' sake - who wants to be woken early in the morning by the type of person who is likely to croon, 'All-righty, folks! It's gonna be a great one!"
- A guide who offers that you "work out the fee later." Um, no. Work out the fee now.