Click on a label to read posts from that part of the world.
Tuesday Travel Trivia celebrates Week 30 by giving away $400 in prizes!
Yep, you read that headline correctly. This week Tuesday Travel Trivia is doing its best Jeopardy! impression by offering hundreds of dollars worth of prizes to one lucky winner. Among them:
- An Arc'teryx Blade 30 backpack ($199.95)
- A SanDisk Sansa slotRadio player ($99.95)
- A red Peek Mobile Email Device ($80, monthly subscription service not included)
- Assorted other electronic whiz-bangs and doo-dads to be determined
To enter to win these suh-weet prizes, check out the following ten trivia questions and leave your answers in the comments. (More terms and conditions at the end of this post.)
The stakes are high this week, so go ahead and employ your favorite search engine if you need some help with the answers. But be forewarned: Even Jeeves won't know the answers to some of these brain-busters.
We'll contact the randomly chosen winner via e-mail within a few days. Good luck!
- Who is the author of the recently released book Travel as a Political Act?
- In 1989, the motto of what airline proclaimed itself "the world's favourite airline"?
- Last year, a Swedish entrepeneur made headlines by turning what massive object into a hostel?
- Liechtenstein and Uzbekistan are the world's only two countries with a very unusual geographic characteristic. What is it?
- In what Tennessee city is Graceland located?
- True or false: English is the official language of the United States.
- Name the early Twentieth Century poet who wrote the following lines: "We shall not cease from exploration / And the end of all our exploring / Will be to arrive where we started / And know the place for the first time."
- What humorous American travel writer's books include A Walk Through the Woods, In a Sunburned Country, and I'm a Stranger Here Myself?
- Fill in the missing country in this Top Ten list: 10. New Zealand 9. United States 8. Norway 7. Australia 6. Japan 5. The Philippines 4. Russia 3. Greenland 2. Indonesia 1. __________
- Within 100, how many bridges cross the Amazon River?
Last week's answers are printed below the fold...
What group has described itself as "New Zealand's Fourth Most Popular Folk Parody Duo"? Answer: Flight of the Conchords
- Home to some of the Atlantic Ocean's harshest weather, the Bay of Biscay is located between which two countries? Answer: France and Spain
- Although located in Switzerland, the tiny Alpine town of Meiringen is home to a museum dedicated to what British literary character? Answer: Sherlock Holmes
- The island nation of the Maldives (pictured) is the smallest country belonging to what continent? Answer: Asia
- What is the title of Robert Frost's famous poem which ends, "Two roads diverged in a wood, and I-- I took the one less traveled by, and that has made all the difference"? Answer: "The Road Not Taken" (points off for anyone who said "The Road Less Traveled")
- In 2006, Chicago's city council banned what French dish in restaurants, causing an uproar that eventually resulted in the ban being overturned? Answer: Foie gras
- What upcoming two-letter computer-animated film from Pixar partially takes place in the jungles of Venezuela? Answer: Up
- What country is home to the beermaker Heineken? Answer: The Netherlands
- Borscht, a red vegetable soup whose principal ingredient is beetroot, originates from what region of the world? Answer: Eastern Europe
- Named the Best Hostel Chain for 2008 by the website Hostel World, Wombats has locations in which two European countries? Answer: Austria and Germany
Terms and Conditions of the Giveaway
- To enter, simply leave a comment answering the questions posed above.
- The comment must be left before Friday, May 22nd at 5:00 PM Eastern Time.
- You may enter only once.
- One Prize Winner will be randomly selected to receive the prizes listed above.
- Open to legal residents of the 50 United States, and the District of Columbia who are 18 and older.
- The total value of the prize is approximately $400
- Click here for the complete official rules of this giveaway.
Filed under: Travel Trivia