Click on a label to read posts from that part of the world.
Budget Travels' top 10 budget destinations and a Gadling twist
As you may have noticed, Gadling's been busy this month with budget destinations. Each one we've found deal worthy from personal experience. Budget Travel magazine has picked top 10 budget destinations for 2009. The variety is such that anyone should be able to find a deal to his or her liking whether it's a particular city you're after, or a whole country. Instead of presenting them in a rated fashion, the magazine lists them according to what makes them list worthy.
Each of the suggestions offers details that range from what to do to where to stay and describes exactly each place was chosen to highlight.
Throughout the past few years, we've had personal experiences with these destinations ourselves. Here are the destinations with a Gadling blogger's angle. Some bloggers are alumni and others are current.
Closer to Home
Austin, Texas-- Kraig's post this month offers visitors budget related details ranging from what to do to where to sleep as well.
Washington, D.C.-- The museums of the Smithsonian can keep you busy for days, for one thing. Here's a post I wrote over a year ago with my itinerary on a Washington, D.C. road trip.
Hawaii--Brenda's stomping ground is marking its 50th year of statehood in 2009. There will be plenty of hoopla to enjoy in addition to the surf and sand. Brenda has an insider's view of what Hawaii might be like for those who go there.
- Budapest, Hungary--Erik's first visit to Budapest was after college where he found the architecture and the women sublime.
- Reykjavik, Iceland--The economy has helped make it a bargain. Although Brook Silva-Braga didn't talk about Iceland's economy in this post of his, he did give a close-up look at a pretty wild and fun camping experience.
Mexico-- If you're going to be driving in Mexico, Kelsey gave the tips on how to survive the experience. She and her husband drove the length of Mexico from north to south
Major Events and Anniversaries
- Berlin--Iva headed to Berlin in June 2008 and offers her first impressions. The anniversary is the 20th year after the fall of the Berlin Wall.
- Vancouver, B.C.--Ember Swift who spent some time at Gadling blogging about her travels in a band, spent time in Vancouver riding the SkyTrain. The upcoming Olympics have the city going through some additions that will add to the traveler's experiences.
Before They Become Overrun
- Cambodia--For a perfect way to see Cambodia, Erik suggests a boat trip from Siem Reap to Phnom Penh, one of the most interesting trips he has had.
- Panama--Kent's version of Panama is from the unusual perspective of the cockpit. He was there during the riots in Panama City earlier in 2008.
Perhaps you've have your own ideas of budget destinations, and we have more on the way.