Click on a label to read posts from that part of the world.
More Independence Days to Celebrate
August is another Independence Day bonanza. The shifts of power didn't happen all at once, but 1960 was a big year. If you're in any of these countries expect a holiday. Maybe there will be fireworks or a parade or a speech or two.
- August 1 - Benin gained independence from France
- August 3-- Niger gained its independence from France
- August 5 --Burkina Faso also gained independence from France.
- August 11--Guess which country Chad gained independence from? That's right, France.
- August 13--Central African Republic also gained independence from--you guessed it--France.
- August 14- Pakistan from the U.K. in 1947.
- August 15- India from the U.K. in 1947.
- August 17- Gabon. Can you guess the country and year? If you said France and 1960, ***ding ding ding ! [Did you hear the you win bells?]
- August 19- Afganistan from the U.K. in 1919. Wow, that's early.
- August 24- Ukraine in 1991.
- August 25- Uruguay from Brazil in 1825.
- August 27- Moldova from U.S.S.R. in 1991
- August 31- Kyrgystan from the U.S.S.R in 1991 and Trinidad and Tobago from the U.K. in 1962.
*The information is from the International Calendar published by the Returned Peace Corps Volunteers of Madison, Wisconsin. They put this calendar together every year and other Peace Corps groups sell it as a fundraiser.